Utilizing a progressive design-build delivery method, our team approached this project in two phases. The first included the preparation of the design to 30-percent completion, also providing the owners with a guaranteed maximum price proposal. Once approved, phase two took off. During those next six months, we completed the design, construction and post-construction tasks, including performance testing, startup and commissioning, and operator training and support. Providing a single point of responsibility, our joint venture team kept city officials informed on a regular basis throughout the entire designbuild process.
In working closely with the Grit King manufacturer, our construction partner and the city, we made decisions — in a timely fashion — that improved treatment and functionality well within the accelerated time frame.
After procuring the grit removal equipment, our team worked to improve the solids treatment and reconfigure the biosolids digestion and dewatering process. We also rehabbed influent screening channels in a manner that eliminated the need for an elaborate flow bypassing scheme. This creative reconfiguration saved tens of thousands of dollars on labor and equipment while also keeping the plant operational during construction.
Because of increased commercial development in the service area, the solids handling system was ill-equipped to address the variable influent wastewater loading. By including medium bubble diffusers in the aerated holding basin (to convert it into a digester) and adjusting operational protocols, treatment efficiency was provided and capacity added at no additional cost.
Fulfilling other operational mandate requirements, we replaced the corroded effluent reuse pumps and reconfigured the pumping control system.
Outside, however, was the issue of odor control. Located near the front of the facility — within view of walking, running and fishing grounds for the public — the compacted biofilter media wasn’t doing its odor control job, resulting in increased pressure drop through the blower discharge piping. To filter hydrogen sulfide odors, our team installed a new Bohn biofilter system, with future plans to improve its appearance by planting colorful annuals.
Despite strict budget parameters, the project came in under budget, allowing the facility to purchase another item on its list: a centrifuge for solids processing.